I've decided to get more fiber into my diet and try to make a true effort at exercising. I'll be honest, though, I have LITTLE to NO motivation to exercise! However, once I start doing any type of exercise, I love it and feel GREAT after the workout. (That should be motivation enough, but it's not.) But trying to eat more fiber has been interesting.
The 8th New Recipe Tried comes from a magazine Living Without: Gluten-Free Black Bean Burgers. I actually really liked this recipe. As you can see from the picture above, my burger's bun is not gluten free. However, one burger has 8 grams of fiber! According to the American Dietetic Association, adults should have between 20-35 grams daily. The only ingredient that I couldn't find was the nutritional yeast.
My 9th New Recipe Tried is homemade juice! For Family Home Evening, I had the entire family watch this great documentary called Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead about 2 men who make a journey to better health. In homeschool, we were discussing various body systems. We ended our unit on the Digestive System by watching this film that taught ALL of us about our bodies and how to be healthy by basically (unbeknownst to them) following the Word of Wisdom. In the film, the men start with a juice fast and later learn ways to just eat better. So I started juicing, too. The above photo was just pretty but tasted very GREEN! The photo just below actually tasted a bit better, though doesn't look as colorful as the first.
And these were the fruits and vegetables I used for the juice in the second picture.
So for my 10th New Recipe Tried, I decide to do something somewhat off the healthy chart. However, I still tried to implement the MORE fiber rule by putting half white, half wheat flour to make baked donuts. No picture here, though. The kids were watching me make, then watching the donuts rise and bake before, during and after the morning session of General Conference. They got eaten up far too fast once they were dusted with a bit a sugar! Even the child who HATES bread ate these yummy treats!
Though this quote comes from a financial expert, I think it applies here as I try to figure out the healthy habit goals:
Though this quote comes from a financial expert, I think it applies here as I try to figure out the healthy habit goals:
If the truth were complex, we'd have figured it out long ago. The fact that it's simple is what has us stumped.~Joe Dominguez
from the book, Your Money or Your Life
10 New Recipes Tried.... 8 Left to Try!
No comments:
Post a Comment