Sunday, September 4, 2011

Something to Always Remember


This post features special guest writer, "Hard-working Dad."

I have a rather large quantity of pinto beans in storage. The last time I tried to make chili with them, they turned out a bit crunchy. This was after boiling them for an hour and putting them in the crock-pot all day.

We had the opportunity to host 4 missionaries at our house for dinner and I thought it would be a great time to make a big pot of chili for Navajo tacos. Remembering my last experiment with our food-storage beans, I wanted to make sure the chili was just right for our special guests.

At 4:00 on Saturday, I washed the beans and let them soak in the refrigerator until 7:45 the next morning. I put them on the stove and boiled them for an hour, then dumped them in the crock-pot with the chili ingredients. I cooked the chili on low for 8 hours and then added some water and cooked it on high for 2 hours... and the beans were.... crunchy. I was very disappointed. I apologized to the missionaries and told them of my trials with tough beans. They listened to my lengthy apology and explanation and gave some counsel that we should always remember, "Brother, you should have prayed first."

**From Very Involved Mom: The beans were edible and only had a slight crunch. The chili was still yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment