I've been trying a lot of new recipes lately. And it's been fun doing it! Some have truly been winners and others... I will not be saving the recipes.
My 11th New Recipe Tried is an altered version of one of my favorite after school treats when I was growing up. My mom would buy some canned coconut milk and make us Haupia ... maybe once or twice a year. I loved it! I loved when my parents would make Hawaiian food for us. I grew up eating rice pretty much every dinner but occasionally, we'd have fried rice & SPAM for breakfast. Every New Year's Day, my dad would make poi, Laulau, his special stew, long rice, Portuguese sausage drenched in soy sauce and sometimes Lomi salmon. Mom would make Haupia during the year, and I knew that it must be a special day.
Anyway, even though I loved this coconut pudding, I'm thinking that not everyone does. So when Hard Working Dad put together a missionary-themed ward activity and they needed desserts from around the world, I volunteered to make a twist on my beloved Haupia. I found the recipe, Haupia Squares. I think it was a success. Most of the pan was empty when we brought it home. But like I said, some people may have tasted it and said, "This is disgusting!" (Some people just don't like coconut). I thought however, that it was delicious!
My 12th New Recipe Tried: French Bread. My entire family thought this was probably the best bread recipe that I have ever made! It was truly scrumptious!
The 13th New Recipe Tried: Flax Bread. Maybe I followed the directions to this recipe incorrectly, but this bread did not taste quite right. It was just too heavy for me. I ate the entire sandwich that you see in the above photo. However, I will not be making this recipe again.
13 New Recipes Tried, 5 left to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment