Tried three more new recipes to meet my "18 New Recipes" goal for the year.
The first is shown in the photo, "Cheese Popover Puffs". If you look closely, the "puffs" look a little different in each of the muffin tins. The tin to the top-right of the photo shows the original recipe. The tin to the bottom-left shows my altered version with non dairy options. Here are the recipes:
Cheese Popover Puffs (original recipe)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Combine all except cheese. Beat at medium speed of an electric blender until smooth. Stir in cheese. Heat a well greased muffin pan at 425 degrees for 3 minutes or until very hot. Spoon in batter, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat, bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes about 8 popovers.
Cheese Popover Puffs (Non Dairy Version)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Almond Milk
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon non dairy buttery spread
1/4 cup shredded rice cheese
Same instructions as above
I liked my Non Dairy Version! Everyone else in the family tried 1 of each version. HW Dad liked both. The children preferred the original version, but thought the non-dairy was okay.
The next new recipe was a Disaster! Why? Perhaps because some recipes just don't go as well with non dairy changes OR maybe because I used a vanilla flavored potato milk instead of an original flavored almond/rice milk. Either way... The Best Baked Corn was gross with my changes. I'm sure the original recipe is delicious?
The last of the three new recipes was a gift to my great husband who works almost non stop to provide for his family and to help those around him. I made pork chops for him. I think I can count on 1 hand how many times I have made pork chops in our 18 years of marriage. It's not that I don't love the flavor of it, but I physically have adverse affects on too much pork in my diet. However, HW Dad loves pork and there was a great price at the supermarket last week. So to show my love this Valentine Season, I made a Rachael Ray recipe "Pork Chops with Golden Apple Sauce" for him. (Think Brady Bunch with Peter's impression of Humphrey Bogart. Anyone else remember that?)
Of course, knowing me, I always have to alter my recipes, right? But this time only because I didn't have all of the ingredients. For the apples, I used 2 golden delicious, 1 pommes, and 1 honeycrisp. I didn't have raisins, so I used dried cranberries. I didn't have apple juice, so I used cran-pomegranate juice. We all thought the pork chops were yummo and 4 out of 5 of the family thought the applesauce was great with the chops!
14 New Recipes Left to Go!
No comments:
Post a Comment