Friday, June 7, 2013

I Am a Child of God

Hello Friends - I have hijacked my wife's blog today, to relate something funny. But first I should clarify something. I guess my name in this forum is "hard-working dad." I'm not sure how accurate this is. I do work a lot, but it's not "hard" work. I am a creative professional and I do a lot of sitting. I do most of my movement with my fingers and most of my problem solving concerns typefaces and visual reference. So, not a lot of effort there. Thanks to my wife for making me look like I earn my keep though.

And now on with our story. One day I was relating something to a well-known story from the Bible. When I looked at my kids for a response, I was met with blank stares. It then occurred to me that it was my responsibility to teach them these stories and lessons. So for a few weeks now, we've been doing trivia at the dinner table. If they don't know the answer, then we stop and I tell them a story. This way, because I am talking, I don't eat as much and the kids get to hear some stories; so, win win.

We usually go around the table with each child answering an age appropriate question from an old church trivia game I have. It was our son #3's turn and the question was as follows: "In the song, 'I Am a Child of God,' what is great?

Our son was stumped, but before he could even answer our little 6yr. old lovely daughter got really excited and said, "I know! I know! My knees!" (She was pointing to her knees.)

The answer is from the line that says, "I am a child of God, and so my NEEDS are great." It took me a second to make the connection, but we all agreed that our daughter does have great knees and now we've got a great story too.

1 comment:

  1. Hard working Dad, last Sunday on FB, I posted a "forum" for just this kind of misunderstanding of hymns. The winner would have to be: High on a mountain top a gopher killed a squirrel, he now flags it to the world. Or something like that. Apparently, many knees are involved in the song you referenced. Singing time leaders ought to eunciate & explain "needs" not knees as I'm convinced this generation as those past are thinking of a body part during that song.

    ReplyDelete