Tuesday, June 14, 2011

End of Another School Year - Changes Ahead


This time of year is always a bittersweet time for me.
I'm so excited to see the wonderful strides these great children have made
and then, I think they are growing up way too fast!
Where does the time go?

I remember when Son #1 arrived at this school 9 years ago! We could have moved him many different times, but I'm glad that we never did. He's learned to focus on his studies and was able to excel here. He received a medal for High Achievement in Overall Academics and English. The trophy was for the 8th grade student having Outstanding Achievement in Math. He will be entering high school starting with Geometry.

He's also started Frosh Football Conditioning at his high school. He already knows quite a few other young men from his previous school, church, and community soccer. It's tough, but he seems to be enjoying it. (I see a lot of volunteering and bleacher-seating/cheering in the future.)

I have a child in high school!




Son #2 has accomplished HUGE feats this year. It was a challenge making a transition from elementary to middle school. But he was able to consistently have a high GPA the entire year. His time at this highly college-oriented school has brought him up to above grade level in many areas. I am truly grateful to his patient teachers and counselors both in the 5th and 6th grades.

Son #2 is so imaginative! Since the age of 3, he's been a creative storyteller and I'm glad he was able to show that in many of his classes: English, Art, History. I love his thought process and wish sometimes I could be as direct with my own thinking.




Now for Son #3. I don't know if you remember your 4th grade year, but I actually remember quite a bit. I remember working on some fun and challenging projects. I also remember learning cursive and division. Son #3 had all of this this year. He had a great time learning about the Santa Cruz Mission and constructing the model all by himself. He's a builder! He may have the best handwriting in the entire family and he's great at math.

This year, he also had the opportunity to be in the school Spelling Bee. Parents got front row seating. Son #3 made it through to the 4th round and came in 3rd Place.

I know he's had a difficult time with some of the aspects of this school. It has been night and day from the Montessori approach of learning to this "College for Certain" mentality. However, I'm grateful for wonderful teachers who were able teach him self-disciplining strategies and help him to challenge his mind.




On August 15th, we begin a new phase for our family.

One child is starting high school and will be attending early morning seminary.
Two other children will be starting on the adventure of homeschooling.

We are looking forward with excitement and a lot of faith!

~Very-Involved Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment